Thank you for your interest in getting David to speak at your event! To ensure this works out best for everyone, please kindly take a moment to review important information on this matter.
As much as possible, please ensure the content of your talk request is relevant to trains. It is best if this deals with the railway network (especially High Speed) in China.
David loves to speak in front of audiences — big and small. When booking him, please understand and respect the following terms and conditions:
- David will always operate independently. In China (including Hong Kong and Macao SARs; but not Taiwan; and also excluding expat markets) and overseas Chinese communities, his agent is Tracy Liu, and elsewhere, David can be contacted directly. To ensure quality control, and to lower costs for you, he will remain independent in operations — thus avoiding any compromise in quality or hidden costs that might come with a speaker bureau.
- Ensure requests are made at least 14 days ahead — so if you want David speaking on 15 March, please request this by 01 March. For international travel outside of China / the Schengen Area, the order must be in no later than 28 days ahead. (These include weekends and national holidays.) Sometimes he need to finalise matters with other parties first, so a decision will need at least 14 days. Note: Days are to be counted as Monday-Sunday, except 29 December – noon of 02 January (of the next year).
- Please respect the independence of his talk’s contents — David will try to remain neutral and to-the-point, so it is personal policy not to speak overtly in support of, or against, political and / or religious causes. His talk will steer clear of military / national security topics as much as possible. David will also ensure academic content will be, as much as possible, free of “grossly commercial” content. Please note that he will take a thorough look at your request and organisation. Sorry, if you promote illegal, obscene, or hateful agendas, your request will be refused.
- You cannot place a booking request if you are a political or religious organisation. This applies to all countries around the world.
Where “China” is mentioned, this also includes “Greater China” parts outside the mainland — Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan.
Please also note, in the interest of your privacy, that your request may be shared with my personal assistant and be stored on a backup address for correspondence, especially sent messages.
HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE
David will generally travel with his own MacBook Pro (or on occasion, MacBook). He will also travel with adapters, so if your system runs on VGA or HDMI, we’re in essence all set (all you need to do is to provide the connecting cable from the projector to the computer). David will also use my own “clicker” device (and he will always carry an extra, backup battery).
David will travel with the entirety of his setup ready — system software, application (and presentation) software, images, fonts, and multimedia all ready in the machine. He expects to use my machine directly for the talk.
Important | David would much prefer to use his system whenever possible — for the simple reason that it is really plug-and-play. However, in rare occasions where he will have to use an alternative system, please tell David of your setup so that he can prepare any temporary extras for your system. If you are using any operating system other than Mac OS X (David runs macOS X 10.12), you must give notice no later than 48 hours before he is scheduled to talk, so he can be sure a PC-ready version is available.
David does have a pretty strong voice, but he prefers to use amplification aids whenever possible (it’s said it is always a good idea to be extra protective of your throat!). As he prefers to speak without a lectern, David prefers either a wireless microphone (or one with a very long cord), or a clip-on / lavalier mic (he is not too comfortable with wearable mics you have to put on your ear, but will try if there are no alternatives). To protect your audio input device, put a foam / windshield over the microphone, as this helps preserves the lifespan of the device, and is also for sanitary reasons.
David will intentionally arrive early to make sure that any and all systems are fully working.
QUOTES / FREE TALKS
Quality does come with a price tag — but hopefully one that surprises you in being affordable! Speak to David early; he can regularly offer “early bird” discounts.
As part of his personal commitments, the following organisations benefit from free presentations that he will give:
- any education institution where David has been enrolled in for more than 6 months (inclusive) as an official student — note for the Communication University of China, this only applies to the School of Presenting and Anchoring, as well as the Institute of Communication Studies
- rail and city metro organisations in Greater China and Switzerland and all organisations and companies under its administration
- any other organisation to which free presentation agreements exist, or that are regarded as where the free policy may apply
Please note that you might have to pre-pay, especially if you are based outside of Europe or China. However, David will stick to his word: if he is unable to make it, he will refund you in full.
David will take care of his own transport fees if this is within the cities of Beijing, Tianjin, Zürich, or London; for other destinations, please provide lodging (at a 4 star hotel, or better) and payment for the for a trip (round-trip) made in:
- Soft Seat or Lower Berth, Soft Sleeper, for Regular Rail in China;
- 2nd (Standard) Class Seat elsewhere, including on CR/CRH trains in China;
- Economy Class for flights
When David is Beijing, he can process your application much faster if you are based within the Beijing, Shijiazhuang, or Tianjin city subway / metro networks, or are located less than (or including) 60 minutes away from a Beijing terminus station (by fastest train service, HSR only).
David travels green. He generally will not fly if there is an HSR connection within 1,000 km of where he is. He does not fly if you are based in the mainland of China.
Flight information: Airline companies David will consider are: Cathay Pacific, Cathay Dragon, SWISS, British Airways, Qantas, Singapore Airlines, and Air Canada.
▶ Personal Assistant
A designated assistant (of Chinese nationality) must be able to accompany David on trips (there is no need to pay for this person), so that emergencies, including sudden illness can be taken care of, and that no alien funds need to be used. This must be taken into consideration unless otherwise stated.
▶ International Travel
David works in three zones: China, Europe, and Rest of the World. Please tell him if you intend to ask him to come to a different zone (eg: from London to New York), as either he himself, or his assistant, or both, will need to apply for visas.
You are advised to apply at least 270 days ahead of time if you are based in the United States, or a US territory. Official approval or invitations may be required.
▶ Book now